When we got to the office, Silas was helping Jewel get out of her car seat. In total Jewel fashion, she grabbed his hand and very tenderly says, "I love you, Silas". He tells her he loves her too, but it is too nonchalant for her so she repeats herself louder adding that she loves him MORE. He stops at the door to the suburban and gets tender right back. "Jewel, you have a Father in heaven who loves you even more. Save some love for him, K?"
I can't help but just smile at these interactions. They make my day.
Silas went first. He was a total champ. He went by himself with the assistant to have his xrays taken. Came back and climbed right up on the chair, put on the glasses and barely moved while she cleaned his teeth (it must have been a good show). We joked that she could probably extract all of his teeth and he wouldn't notice.
Jewel watched the whole time and when he was done she followed suit and did the same thing. Got right up in the chair, let them check and clean her teeth with hardly a wiggle. (She must have also liked the show, but it helped that Silas stood next to her and held her hand the whole time...and he couldn't even see the show from there)
Then she went and had her xray done as well. No problems.
I was feeling SO proud. After they were all done the dentist came over to look in their mouths and give me the 'consultation'. She very sweetly and kindly told me that Silas has small cavities between all of the teeth in the back of his mouth. The top, bottom, right and left sides. The cavities are small, but they should be taken care of. There are 8 in all. Jewel has one cavity that is next to a bit of a dip in her gums so food is getting caught there. She also needs to have it taken care of. So, see you and all of your money and your doped up kids for three more visits. Thanks for coming!
I was literally speechless! I did not know what to say. We were doing so great, I was just completely caught off guard. I felt so neglectful as a parent. What a failure!!
Thankfully their behavior was so fantastic, otherwise I do not think I would have recovered. Remember that Mother of the Year Award? I forfeit.
The only kid who cried at the dentist was the one who didn't have to sit in the chair at all. In fact, sitting is the problem. He can't do it. So, he was standing on the bench trying to look out the window and did a head first dive onto the floor. He gave himself a huge egg on the forehead. Nice and bright red for all to see. He didn't cry long, but he did cry.

But seriously, who can be mad at this kid. Look at him. He has a bellybutton for goodness sake.
The dentist here has no idea what she will be getting into when this one cracks a smile for her. Two missing teeth and a thumb sucking addiction of which she has NEVER seen the likes.
When we got home we looked through our goody bags and decided that the dentist is a pretty cool place. Clearly they have no idea what a cavity is or what needs to be done to it. Apparently they will be doped with gas during the appointment anyway, so I don't think I will tell them right now. We all smiled our nice clean smiles.
And Silas went straight to work with his new toothbrush and toothpaste. It actually kills me that he is the one with the cavities because he rarely eats sweets and is very faithful with brushing. Apparently I have not been on the flossing train long enough...sorry buddy.
I smooch all over them, decayed teeth and all.
They squeeze on me, clearly unscathed by my lack of teeth cleaning ability.
I must confess that I have had my fare share of dental work myself and I have heard that a lot of it is just genetic. However, Jordan goes to the dentist next month for the first time in an undiscloseable amount of time. I intend on getting a baby sitter and going with to







No comments:
Post a Comment