kids

kids

Friday, March 1, 2013

Earlier this week, Jewel opened the door to Trey's room as I was feeding him his bottle and getting ready to tuck him in.  When she saw me, I slowly shook my head no, she quietly backed up and silently closed the door.  As soon as he was in bed I went and found her and praised her for being so quiet and not talking with me since she could see I was trying to put Trey to bed.  She was such a big girl for being patient and tip toeing out to wait until I was done.  She was grinning and glowing after compliment.

Tonight I sat in the dark in Trey's room with his warm little body snug up against me.  He has been letting me sing and rock him, and I take advantage of it every night, staying with him until his breath is long and steady and his head is feeling heavy.

As we rocked, I saw the door open again, Jewel stood behind the partially opened door and held her pajamas out toward me.
"Mom, you help me wif dese?" she asked.
"As soon as I am done tucking Trey in, I will come and help you"
Then something clicked and she remembered the night earlier this week.
"OK" she 'whispered' in the loudest possible whisper. "I will tip toe out of here"
She shut the door without caution, then lay on the floor in front of his room so that she could talk to me under the door.
"I did it, Mom! I waited and tip toed right out dere!"  There was no whisper left in her voice and no head left on my shoulder.
"Thank you, Jewel." I called back.  Then I heard her reporting her good behavior down the stairs to Jordan.
I smiled and shook my head in the dark...I whispered to Trey, "That is affirmation gone south."

No comments: