kids

kids

Monday, March 2, 2009

A weekend road trip

This last weekend Silas and I drove the 6 hours north to go and
visit my cousins in Lynden. I was a little nervous about the drive, but Silas did outstanding! After the first hour he was saying "Momma, hold you! Momma, out!" which I knew was his way of saying I have been in here long enough. I debated turning around and ditching the whole trip, but instead decided to throw my time table out the window and just stop when he needed to even if it was every hour. So we took a break, got some coffee for me and snacks for him, went to the bathroom and stretched our legs. When we got back in the car he took a little nap, woke up refreshed, and the rest of the trip was filled with "What's that Momma? A CRANE! A DIGGER! A TRACTOR! A AIRPLANE! A TRUCK! Who's that Momma? Psalty on? More Psalty? A break from Psalty Momma? Crackers puleeeeze Momma! POTTY! POTTY! POTTY! I hold it...I tooting...HURRY MOMMA! A treat?" And many, many more
one liners to entertain me. Once we got there, Silas wasted no
time getting to know the six kids Shilo and Jasmine have between them. Soon he was calling them all by name, joining in their games, and even getting on the "stage" to sing our beloved Psalty tunes under the direction of Pearl and Darla. Sadly I don't have any pictures of the youngest two boys (James, 1 and Everett, 9 mos.) mostly because we were policing a zoo of 7 children for most of the time, and fitting in every conversation we have been dying to have in between. By the end of our visit, Silas was dreaming and talking about his cousins in his sleep, and hugging and kissing them all before we left.
This of course brought back so many memories for me of the visits my family made to Carnation, Washington when I was growing up. There are always those few moments at the
beginning that are a little awkward and where you feel a little shy, but family is family and it doesn't take long to realize that you want to connect with these cool kids! Before long you are inseparable and it is hard to believe you lived your life without them by your side. Although the awkward moments are gone now with my cousins, the rest remains the same. I never regret making the trip to reconnect with my girls. I am so blessed with such amazing family.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: