kids

kids

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

 Mother's Day.

This morning in church we sang "Blessed be the Name of the Lord."  The lyrics are precious to me today.
"He gives and takes away, He gives and takes away, my heart will chose to say, Lord, blessed be your name."

There have been Mother's Days with empty arms.  Today as we sang, I thought not only of my own story, but also those of my friends and family members.  Miscarriages, lost babies, infertility, Mother's Day can be a tough reminder of those pains.  I thought, too, of the mothers who have made poor decisions and someone else is taking care of their babies today.  I wondered how many women in my church service were struggling with their own stories, or not even there today because they pain was too much. 
Lord, graciously love them today.  In a way that is so clearly their Heavenly Father, poor out your love on them.

Then I saw familiar faces down the row from me, ones who I know waited and waited for a little one and are now holding two, or more.  I saw mismatched colors amongst families and recalled the stories of patient adoptive parents now snuggling a son or daughter close to their side.  I felt a gentle kick from my own growing belly, a healthy baby reminding me of the rich blessing. 

All of us in that place, closed our eyes, raised our hands, and worshiped together in the Blessed Name of the Lord. 

Although I now have 5 reasons to celebrate Mother's Day, this past year has been filled to the brim with delightful moments with these two.  Oh Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder, consider all the works thy hands have made...





















 

No comments: