Silas rarely prays aloud.
Last week when we were driving in the car he announced that at Grammy's house, when we were eating dinner (which actually means lunch, or breakfast...but in this case, lunch) he was going to pray that everyone would have a Christmas tree. I told him that was a great idea.
Lunch time arrives in a rush of craziness at Grammy's house. It usually consists of my two plus Mandy's two boys (ages 3 and 5) with lots of joke telling and silliness. This particular time we added in Mandy's oldest daughter as well. With chaos in full swing, orders being called out, toys being confiscated, Silas stops and says "Wait, we didn't pray!" This is also highly unusual for him, but I asked if he wanted to pray for us and when he said yes... our car conversation came to mind right away.
"Dear Jesus, pleeaassee, I hope everyone can get their Christmas tree. Amen."
Return to chaos.
I thought about it several times more during the day, mostly because it is just so out of character for him to pray out loud at all, let alone at the busy lunch table with all the cousins. When I was tucking him in that night I told him I was proud of him for doing that. We talked about not having to wait until a meal time to pray, but as soon as you think of something you talk to God about it right then and there. He just listened. I asked him what made him think about Christmas trees. At this point all of the houses we frequent are decked out with tall green trees and decorations, so I was curious if he was thinking of someone specific.
"I think God just made my heart think about Christmas trees."
Wow. Ok. I am silent in amazement for a moment. I kiss him, sing with him, and when we pray I thank God that Silas is learning to hear His voice and that he is responding.
Four days later my dad asks if I know anyone who needs a Christmas tree. No, I don't. Why?
Because someone has donated 900 Christmas trees to the Tucson area, they are giving them away for free.
Providence is something incredible. When I was pregnant with Silas, I was doing a study on the story of Samuel. God laid it heavy on my heart to pray that story for Silas. I prayed daily that Silas would hear the voice of God, that Jordan and I could be like Elijah...pointing him in the right direction, and that he would soon learn to answer "Speak Lord, for your servant is listening."
Thank you, God, for glimpses of promises answered, for the small revelations you give us into your perfect plan, for the encouragement of these precious moments.
No comments:
Post a Comment