Well, as many predicted, we are starting to chip away at the ice berg of verbal communication. Pretty much every day she is adding a new word here or there to her sparse vocabulary. I have to say, as fun as it is to hear her attempts at naming objects and copying phrases, I feel as though we are being worked over. She is careful not to ever say things on demand. Even if she has used a word several times, if you ask her what something is she simply looks at you and nods. She will say some words that are really tricky (underwear for example), but still doens't say simple things (like ball or milk). She has accidently said 'water' outloud to us, but now if we encourage her to use it while we are at the table, she still says 'dat' while pointing to it...if I ask her what it is, she does the sign for water.
But, what really convinced us that she is following a plan, was the stunt she pulled earlier last week. It was nap time and I was getting ready to tuck her into bed. I sent her over to give Jordan a hug and kiss and tell him goodnight. She went right to him, smooched and squeezed him, and he said "Goodnight Jewel, I love you."
She turns over her shoulder, looks right at him and says "Love you".
Both of our mouths dropped open, and I said "Jewel, did you just say 'I love you'?" She nodded her head with certainty. One of the two parents got tears in his eyes...I won't tell which one :) We were so excited, it was the first time she has ever responded to this commonly used phrase in our house.
She could sense the excitement and without skipping a beat, she walks straight over to me and says "Treat?"
Oh Jewel, you totally know how to work it.

No comments:
Post a Comment