OK, not gonna lie, we were hoping labor day weekend could have a double meaning for our family :) I had prepared myself in all areas to be heading to the hospital for baby day at some point over the three days that Jordan was home. But...it isn't time yet!
So, we did what most other people were doing over Labor Day instead. We went hiking, explored around a new state park (which, despite the title of being a park, does not have playground equipment, much to Silas' dismay), watched Silas zoom his bicycle down hills, off road and back again before we can blink (and yes, I hold my breath a lot when he rides, I try to be a cool mom, but two wheelers go really fast). We grilled in the back yard, played on the slip-n-slide, hung out with good friends, and caught up on some yard and house work. We all slept at every nap time, and still found ourselves dragging exhausted bodies into bed at night. Jordan made delicious breakfasts every morning, and we had our first official 'family movie night' all snuggled up on the couch with treats and blankets.
Some of our slip n slide fun since last time I didn't get any footage of Jewel being hurled down the slide...hysterical. I also just love Jordan's laugh...he is totally super Dad.
Some of the good from the garden...we now have zucchini, tomatoes, and sugar snap peas coming out of our ears! Soon there will be other summer squash, the plum tree will be totally ripe, and then the corn and pumpkins will be soon to follow!It was a great weekend for our family. I know in my heart that each day we have before the baby comes is a gift to the older kids. Things are going to be very different around here shortly, and having time to do all the activities we did was good for them. It's good for Jewel to have every last day of being the baby. It's good for Silas to have special attention and time with just his Dad and him. It's good for Jordan and I to have after bed times to spend together, without being completely exhausted from lack of sleep. We thoroughly enjoyed each other all weekend long...and I still feel like we are trying to make up for the lost time while Jordan was away...so it was a huge blessing for all of us.
It was still hard to not have 'my ideal plan' work out with delivery day. I had a doctor appointment last Thursday, and things are ready, but the contractions just haven't been consistent enough yet. I thought for sure by Sunday we'd be in business. I also figured God would do something logical and let us have the baby when Jordan was already home and there were so many options for places for the older kids to go while we were in the hospital. But, surprisingly, by the time Monday night arrived and the baby had not come, I started to feel more relaxed about it. I know that God is cooking up a plan that is not only right for Silas and Jewel, but also for me and Jordan, and most specifically the right time for the baby :) So I am sure that I will continue to power clean my house every night after I get the kids into bed (this has been going on for nearly 2 weeks, so why stop now? Nesting is a powerful tool!), we will continue to wonder each night if this will be the night, and we will wake every morning facing whatever is in front of us. And we still have a week until the actual due date, so this may go on for a while.
I do make this promise to our family...I will not announce the baby in the blog. We will call each and every one of you before I put a single piece of information on the internet. We will not keep the events a secret. When we go to the hospital, we'll call the grandparents and they can call the aunts and uncles, and we'll follow up with everyone with gender/name/weight/ and all the baby details. Promise.
We are anxiously looking forward to meeting this little one, so until we have more on that, you'll have to be satisfied with the remainder of this little family :)
Silas is in the next level of swim classes and doing outstanding. He swims pretty much on his own now and is learning the back float and kick. He really enjoys it.
Jewel took lessons all summer, but isn't quite old enough to move on to the next class. We decided to take the fall off for her so we don't have to pay for her to repeat the class she took this summer. She'll start again in January...she does not like this arrangement. This is us in the playroom next to the pool where we can watch Silas during his lesson. She stood at the window saying "me, me, me...that!" pointing to the pool, for at least half of the lesson. Should be fun to take her and her riots to the pool every week when the baby is born. She also had her 2 year check today. Above 95% for height and weight. Everything else looks good. The doc is not concerned about her lack of vocabulary, she'll talk when she's ready. I would like to talk to all of my kids about doing things when I am ready just for a change.
No comments:
Post a Comment