"Let the beloved of the Lord rest secure in Him, for he shields him all day long, and the one the Lord loves rests between his shoulders" Deuteronomy 33:12
kids
Friday, July 22, 2011
Milestones Part 2
There are certain milestones in my kids' lives that make them seem more naughty in that second than they have been in their whole lives (accumulated...in this case). Yesterday I had the brilliant idea to put my kids down for naps at my friend Lisa's house so that we could catch up and have uninteruppted conversation while our 5 kids snoozed away. I was a little concerned that Silas would have a tough time, he hasn't really been napping anymore at home, we have been opting for the 'quiet time' in the afternoon to preserve an earlier bed time. He did get out of bed twice while we were there, but ended up doing ok in Lisa's bed for the hour and a half we had hoped for. I was not concerned about Jewel. She is a fabulous napper and will sleep just about anywhere. Not to mention the sweet confinement of a pac n play reducing all stress levels.
Once we had everyone tucked in, we sighed a deep sigh as we put our feet up on the couch and sipped our fresh cups of coffee. Then I heard a little tiny "hi" coming from the stairs. I could not believe it, it had never happened before, but there on the stairs was a the giant grin of an escape artist. She climbed out of her pac n play.
I told her very sternly that she is not allowed to do that, if she did it again I was going to give her a spank. She looked at me and pointed to her hand, nodding. I knew what she meant, and no, the spank would not be on her little hand, it will be on her little butt cheeks. I clarified, reinstructed, put her back in her bed and walked out. I fully expected her to stay in there. Why? I don't know. But I was totally nieve. She got out two more times, got two spanks, and then fussed until she fell asleep. She woke up an hour later.
Needless to say, when we got home she was a mess. Many tired tears and temper tantrums later I decide she needed some quiet time in her bed. I put her in there, not as a punishment, but more as a little break for both of us, with her blankets and pacifier. I went into my room to put a few things away and turned at the sound of my door opening. Peeking around the corner with that same little grin, my little stinker with blankets and pacifier in tow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment