kids

kids

Monday, April 6, 2009

Well, now what?

So, although Jordan and I have felt like Silas is making progress with the new "no pie" trend, we have still been struggling. He generally gives a great nap in the day, but I know it is because his night time sleep is so fractured and the kid is just totally wiped out. Here's why...

Our nights go like this:
7:30: with the pie- Start bed time routine (teeth, jammies, stories, pray together, sing songs)
without- Start bed time routing as Silas begins crying routine (read 8,000 stories to help him calm down, pray together, sing songs that are now requested...without the pie he is very vocal about which songs to sing, Psalty of course, and when to stop singing "turn it off, Mom")

8:00: with the pie- Lay Silas in his bed after multiple smooches, he snuggles down, all is quiet.
without- Peel Silas off of me as he is frantically asking for potty, water, songs, and anything else he can think of...Thomas the Train, watching a movie, his basketball...and so on.

9:00: with the pie- The kid has been out cold for at least 45 minutes.
without- Talking, playing, jumping, and just craziness can be heard over the monitor.

10:00: with the pie- All is quiet and we are getting ready to head to bed
without- No one is considering sleeping, including Silas who is just now starting to lose steam with the jumping.

11:00: with the pie- Jordan and I are soundly sleeping, so is our precious little boy
without- Silas has finally fallen asleep and Jordan and I are trying to fall asleep as fast as we can.

2:00am: with the pie- Everyone is sacked out (well, maybe I am taking my pregnant self to the
bathroom)
without- The first wake up has occurred and he wakes up mad, only wanting Mom, we basically start the bedtime routine over (at the prayer time) and when I put him back in bed we have another 30-60 minutes of restless awakeness.

3:30am: repeat 2:00 am

8:00am: with the pie- Silas wakes up happy to a Mom who has been up since 6:30 or so and is
ready for the day.
without- We both wake up at 8, exhausted, cranky, counting down hours until nap time.


So, last night at the 2am waking, we broke down and gave it back. By broke down I mean that we had talked about it before bed and decided if he had another hard night we needed to help him out. He smiled a HUGE smile when he saw the pie, snuggled into my shoulder, got into his bed with out any fussing or mommy soothing, and we didn't hear a peep out of him until 9:30 this morning. We are still formulating the plan from here, but we are all thankful for the full sleep we got last night, and right now I am thankful for the pie.

No comments: