I shared a funny story about my kids with a friend the other day, and after laughing out loud, she reminded me that I should be writing them down. In the moment, it feels like we'll never forget the funny remarks. However, after the third child, it becomes evident there will actually be little that you remember.
So...
A few weeks ago at church, the kids talked about how God made each person special. As a craft the kids traced their bodies on butcher paper and then colored the inside to look like themselves. Silas was showing me his when we got home. Instead of clothing or facial features or anything like that, he drew his circulatory system. He had trails of red crayon flowing one way, and then back the other, all collecting in the chest. He says:
This is all my blood, flowing through my body. It goes to my arms and legs and down to my feet and toes and even through my head. Then it all comes back to get circulated through my hearts. See these (he points to two fist sized circles drawn on the chest)? These are my hearts, pumping my blood.
(me) Oh, you have 2 hearts?
(him) Yeah, look. (He then lifts his shirt up and points to his two nipples)
(me) Oh, yeah, look at that. You do have two hearts.
We can have a full anatomy lesson later, but for now, how cute is that to think his nipples are his hearts. And seriously, boys nipples have no use anyway, so it pretty much makes sense.
We had another jammy day today. I like for the kids to have Jammy Day on my cleaning days, that way it seems fun for them while I am trying do more work and less play. But this afternoon we had decided to meet Jordan at a pizza place that has a play area, to celebrate Silas learning his sight words and mastering the 'S' in his name (which has caused many frustrations in the past) without my help. So, when I announced it was time to get dressed he was less than thrilled to ditch the jammies. I told him he could pick anything he wanted to wear as long as it was not jammies.
He thought for a while and finally decided on his new fighter jet shirt. Of course he has a really good reason.
Mom, I think I will wear my fight jet shirt. Then, when I am playing at the play place, some boy will say to me 'hey, cool shirt' and I will say 'thanks' and he'll say 'you're welcome' and I'll say 'what's your name?' and he'll tell me and then he'll say 'what's your name?' and I'll say 'Silas' and then we can play together and be friends.
OH the thought that goes into these things!!! It is actually enlightening to me. I know he is thinking like this a lot, this far ahead and this detailed, but he doesn't always say it so clearly. I pray that these thoughts stay captive to the Lord! Anyway, it continues.
He heads into the room that he and Jewel share to go and get dressed. His shadow (aka, Jewel) follows him in. He turns around and tries to shut the door on her, yelling that he doesn't want her in there because he is changing. As soon as he starts pushing, she of course starts pushing back...and she ain't no wimp. So, they are in a lock down at the door and escalating. Trey is sleeping so I whisper loudly to Silas that maybe he could say nicely to her 'Jewel, can I please have some privacy'. He gains composure, stops pushing and says 'Jewel, I am going to be changing clothes, can I please have some privacy?' Without skipping a beat she says 'Oh. yeah.' and walks away. (She does this regularly, as soon as he gets amped up, she ups the anti....as soon as he asks nicely and the game is over, she is back to zero in a second flat and usually complies completely). He closes the door and then 5 seconds later opens it to announce he has to go to the bathroom, and walks out totally nude, thinking nothing of his privacy.
So we have pizza, we play, we get tired, cranky and sweaty. As I am helping the kids get their shoes on to leave, with a heavy sigh and sad eyes Silas says
Mom, no one told me I had a cool shirt.
(me) Oh, really? I'm sorry Honey.
(him) I wore this shirt so that someone would say that to me, and no one noticed.
(me) Silas, I am sorry. That is really frustrating. Did you tell anyone else they had a cool shirt?
(him) No.
(me) Well, maybe next time you could be brave and tell someone else they had a cool shirt and then find out their name and play with them.
(him) Oh, yeah. That's a good idea. Can you tell me that again next time?
(me) Yup. Of course.
I also just love the innocence of this age. Jordan took Silas to a monster truck show for his birthday (more on that later), and they saw the 'Grave Digger' truck. It is decorated to fit the name with a huge skull on the side. Last week in the grocery store, he saw the toy Grave Digger near the check out lane. He asked me, begged me, to get it for him. I was busy with the groceries and glanced at it, disapproving of the look, I said no. He said
Please Mom! This is the monster truck me and dad saw at the show...he's the 'Great Digger' and he won 1st prize!
No comments:
Post a Comment